Carbon monoxide poisoning

Carbon monoxide is an invisible, odourless and silent killer. Although incidents of carbon monoxide poisoning have fallen in the UK over the past 20 years, people continue to be killed and admitted to hospital every year as a result of breathing in carbon monoxide.

If you breathe in carbon monoxide, it enters your bloodstream and the blood is no longer able to carry oxygen, and this lack of oxygen causes the body’s cells and tissue to die.

The symptoms include headaches, nausea and vomiting, dizziness, tiredness, shortness of breath and difficulty breathing. Your symptoms may improve when you are away from the source of the carbon monoxide.

Pattinson & Brewer has built a reputation fighting for the victims of carbon monoxide and their families where the victims have been exposed through poorly maintained gas appliances and fires in rented accommodation.

For further information you may wish to visit our specialist industrial disease website